Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Cure & Smiths & Pogues covers

Still clearing out the cobwebs, this batch of songs had been in the stalled-out production line since the 2015, partly as an attempt to live inside some songs for the Buttsteaks to possibly cover.  I prefer working on songs in pairs, probably out of ingrained A side/ B side bias, so there are three 45's here, to my thinking anyway...

Out of these, we ended up picking up only "Friday I'm in Love" and doing a nice job of it (including the bridge section that I've never taken a shine to, and left out of this basement laboratory version).  We'd covered the other Cure song, "Push", and the Smiths' "What Difference Does It Make" WAAAAaaayy back in the pre-Buttsteak days of '87 (along with some other still-neglected hits) but likewise left those in the dustbin of history.  "Please, Please, Please..." was recorded just because it's one of my favorite Smiths' songs and I'm still convinced it could work in the right format.

The other "single" is, in my mind, done in the style of the underestimated, late-era, Joe Strummer-fronted Pogues. "If I Should Fall from Grace With God" I did as a St. Patrick's thing.  Was hoping to pick up  "London Calling" for the Buttsteaks, thinking it a no-brainer but we ended up leaving it on the slag heap. It may yet rise again. 

JK







No comments:

Post a Comment