Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Neil Young covers


What can I say?  I'm not the only one for whom Neil is perennially and indisputably the central musical figure.  Man, I could just cover his songs forever.  His songwriting and playing and artistic vision in general... His particular guitar tone and style, lyrical wit and sincerity, simultaneous looseness and unswerving focus.  There is nothing more to be added.  So I've added some covers!  At least these are of a couple deep cuts/ stone cold classics.  These versions have been sitting around literally for years:

"Emperor of Wyoming".  Secret instrumental greatness from that first, weird, good-not-great, first solo LP.  I realize Neil is THE Les Paul guy but, all respect to Old Black, it's always fun to bust out the Gretsch and twang away.  Having the Bigsby tremolo to play with really suits my limited guitar skills!  This one also benefits from the baritone and some nice sounding "pianner", and apparently dates from a time when I still knew how to play a little pedal steel...

"Winterlong".  Semi-secret pop greatness, for many years available only on the "Decade" collection (still the best "best of" compilation out there, from then 'til now)... 


No comments:

Post a Comment